Monday, November 19, 2012

Celiac disease and Vitamins


Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease where the surface of the small intestine that absorbs nutrients from food is damaged by a substance called gluten.
This wreaks havoc on vitamin levels in your body, so am aggressive vitamin plan is necessary if you want to keep your gains or losses moving forward.
Here is what I’m currently taking.  After about 3 months I plan on getting the levels of these tested to see where I stand and what adjustments I should make.

L-Glutamine ---helps protect and repair intestinal lining and beneficial for the stresses involved in weight training.
Digestive enzymes---to aid digestion.
Probiotics---to aid digestion.
Calcium/magnesium/zinc---healthy bones, immune system function.
Vitamin B-12/B complex---production of red blood cells, aids nervous system.
Vitamin C---immune system health.
Vitamin D---helps with calcium absorption, immune system health.
Creatine---improves performance, aids in muscle recovery.

I didn't get too crazy with the explanations for each of these but the idea here is to get normal levels of these to assist in my training goals as well as normal function of my immune system.  For starters I’m taking the recommended doses of each except for Vitamin C which I do take 2000mg per day.  I’ve done this for quite a long time and even through these health issues have only had 1 flu in the past 5 years or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts and ideas